Sodium hyaluronate eye drops are also famous as ‘artificial tears’. It is used to relieve eye soreness as well as dryness. It can soothe, moisten, and lubricate the surface of our eye and making it feel more comfortable to us. There are many different brands of eye drops in the market that contain sodium hyaluronate as a basic ingredient. You may be prescribed this drops by a physician, or you can buy them without using a prescription at a pharmacy.
Using sodium hyaluronate
We need to make sure that this is the right treatment for us before we start using the eye drops it is important that our pharmacist or doctor knows:
- If we wear soft contact lenses.
- If we have ever had an allergic reaction to a preservative in our eye drops.
Do we need how to use sodium hyaluronate eye drops?
- Wash our hands well before we use the drops.
- Remove the cap from the pack.
- Tilt our head back a little and pull the lower lid of our eye downwards to form the pocket.
- Hold the bottle upside down near to our eye. Try not to touch our eye as we do this.
- Create a pressure to release one drop into our eye. Only use the second drop if the first drop missed going into our eye.
- Close our eye for a minute or two, and press gently on the side of our nose where the corner of our eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in our eye.
- Repeat the process if we have been told to use the drops in both eyes.
- Replace the cap.
How to start our treatment?
Before we start using the eye drops, read the printed information leaflet supplied with the pack. It will give us more information about using the drops and provide a full list of any side-effects which we may experience.
Use one drop into the eyes affected by dryness. Most of the people find it is sufficient to use the drops three or four times in a day, but we can use the drops as often as we need to if our eyes are very dry. If the drops have been prescribed for our treatment, then follow the directions given by our physician.
We need to take care that the dropper doesn’t touch our fingers, our eye, or any other surface. If we forget to use the drops at our ‘usual’ time, do not worry, just put them in when we remember. When first put in, this eye drops may cause blurred vision. Make sure we can see clearly again before we drive, or use machines or tools. If we are using any other ointments or eye drops, leave about ten minutes before applying each one. This eye drops is usually recommended that we use the sodium hyaluronate drops last. Do not wear soft contact lenses while we are using the drops unless our doctor or pharmacist has advised us. This is because there is a good preservative in the bottles of eye drops which can affect our soft contact lenses. If our symptoms do not improve within a few days, see our physician for advice.
Can this eye drop cause problems?
This eye drops can be caused by mild eye irritation, but it may pass and not everyone will experience with it. If we experience any other eye problems, especially if we think they may be due to the drops, speak with our doctor or pharmacist for advice.
How to preserve sodium hyaluronate eye drops?
- Keep this eye drop out of and the sight of children.
- We need to Store in a cool and dry place.
- We should keep away from direct light and heat.
- We must always check the expiry date on the label.
- It is our responsibility how long we can use the drops once the bottle has been opened. Most of the eye drops can keep for four weeks once when the container has been opened to reduce the risk of eye infections.
- Single-dose units must be used immediately if the unit is opened. We don’t store or re-use opened units for next doses. This is because it doesn’t contain any preservative.