Uses of Total Steviol Glycosides
Total Steviol Glycosides (TSG) have found a wide range of applications in various industries due to their natural origin and intense sweetness. Here, we explore the versatile uses of TSG:
- Food and Beverage Industry:
TSG is commonly used as a natural sweetener in the food and beverage industry. They can replace sugar or artificial sweeteners in a multitude of products, including TSG
- Soft Drinks and Carbonated Beverages: Many diet and zero-calorie soft drinks use TSG as a sugar substitute.
- Baked Goods: TSG can be used in baking to reduce sugar content in cakes, cookies, and pastries.
- Desserts: Sugar-free and low-calorie desserts often contain TSG as a sweetening agent.
- Dairy Products: TSG can be found in reduced-sugar yogurt, ice cream, and flavored milk.
- Condiments and Sauces: Some ketchup, BBQ sauces, and salad dressings incorporate TSG to reduce sugar content.
- Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical Products:
TSG’s low-calorie, natural sweetness makes it suitable for pharmaceutical and nutraceutical applications. It is used in various products, such as:
- Medications: TSG can be used to sweeten liquid medications and chewable tablets.
- Dietary Supplements: TSG is a common ingredient in dietary supplements and vitamins.
- Agriculture Industry:
In agriculture, TSG extracts have been studied for their potential as a natural pesticide. Some research suggests that these extracts may help protect crops from pests and diseases, offering a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to chemical pesticides.
- Personal Care and Cosmetics:
Steviol Glycosides have also found their way into personal care and cosmetic products. They are used in toothpaste, mouthwash, and skincare products, where their potential antibacterial properties can be beneficial.
- Animal Feed:
TSG extracts are used in animal feed as a natural sweetening agent. This application is particularly relevant in the livestock and aquaculture industries.
- Home Use:
At-home cooks and health-conscious consumers use TSG as a sugar substitute in recipes for everything from beverages and desserts to salad dressings and marinades. It can be a valuable addition to your pantry for reducing sugar intake without sacrificing sweetness.
It’s important to note that the use of TSG is subject to regulatory guidelines and approval in various regions. Always check product labels and confirm compliance with local regulations when purchasing items containing Total Steviol Glycosides.
In the next section, we’ll delve into the safety and regulatory aspects of TSG to provide a comprehensive understanding of its usage.